Monday 26 October 2015

This is what I'm telling the Judge next week


Exactly one week from today... at 9:30 am I will walk into this Ottawa building, hand the Judge my four page submission, and hope that s/he agrees to allow me to file a criminal charge.

Below is the intro and conclusion to my submission, which is based on a very useful Supreme Court template I found. I won't bore you with the legal passages, statements of fact, and other legalese sandwiched between the intro and conclusion.

Please feel free to give me feedback about this draft intro and conclusion - Good? Bad? How could I improve it? Many thanks.


INTRODUCTION:

Mr. Fuchs did not want to die – few of us do. Nor did he want to be rendered unconscious then starved to death – none of us do. Yet that is exactly how my friend Mr. Fuchs, a lovely man who loved the tango, soccer, and life itself, met his end on July 11, 2014, alone in a 20 x 20 white-walled room, surrounded by nothing but the still presence of death and the hum of air conditioning.  

 CONCLUSION

A criminal conviction in this case will not bring back Mr. Fuchs. I am hoping however that a conviction will serve to prevent family, institutions, and society from 'disposing' of sick and elderly people such as myself as if we are horses with broken legs. All of us – young and old – are going to die at some point but it is absolutely unconscionable for anyone to hasten my death because the effort to heal me, or the effort to at least to mitigate my suffering, has become a burden on my family, on our institutions, or on our society.

Please help Mr. Fuchs find justice. Thank you.
"As long as the world shall last there will be wrongs, and if no man objected and no man rebelled, those wrongs would last forever."

.... Clarence Darrow, lawyer and civil libertarian

No comments:

Post a Comment