Wednesday 16 April 2014

Thank you Jane Wells

Thank you Jane Wells.

It's 3:10 in the morning and I woke up about about ten minutes ago with legal phrases, procedural details, and warm thoughts of you swirling in my head. 

I fell in love with Jane the moment I saw her sitting one row over in my high school algebra class. But alas, she had a boyfriend and I was always to shy to tell her that my heart raced and my head swooned every time we passed in the hall, or she spoke in class, or someone spoke her name. But though we never became lovers, we did become friends and it was some time during the two years between Grade 10 and graduation that Jane (a Quaker) shared with me two bits of wisdom that would forever shape my life....

"Do not hit" 
and 
"The fight is not over until one of you gives up"

Imbided with my mother's social activism I have struggled all my life against bullies, racism, war, and injustice, from the labyrinthine streets of New York to the segregated restaurants of Georgia.

So as I sit at my computer keyboard this morning, composing legal filings and appeals, I am thinking of Jane and all the non-violent battles I've fought - some unimportant and likely foolhardy - and some, like this battle, vitally important. 

For the duration of what's left of my time on this earth, I will continue to do battle with the forces of evil, and thanks to you Jane, I will never raise my fist and never, ever give up.

So here's to you Jane Wells... where ever you are.

Peace,

James

No comments:

Post a Comment